BuildUser ERROR after successful flash

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1206 by KeyStone
Hello,

I have just attempted to remove the the firmware password on my Macbook Air (11" Early 2014). It does boot up just fine and I can reset NVRAM. However, I cannot boot into single user mode. When I try to it comes up with this screen: https://i.imgur.com/Cetc0wp.png (Sorry for quality) I do not understand what went wrong. here are the 3 reads I did and the modification that I made (mod.rom): http://www.mediafire.com/download/r498uqg73t3e99s/read%26mod.zip

Here are before and after pictures in my hex editor if that helps:
Before: https://imgur.com/R4gEO8W
After: https://imgur.com/58LOVfp
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by KeyStone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1209 by token.paul
You deleted entire $SVS area. It is wrong. Flash attached file. This is your modified firmware with reconstructed SVS area.
But keep in mind, that may need to reinstall the system. Sometimes the full disk reinitialization required
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KeyStone

More
8 years 7 months ago #1213 by KeyStone
I am confused, In his video/thread he replaced everything after $SVS. I am also trying to understand how to do this on my own. So, could you tell me how you got the file atached? How did you know what to replace and what not to?

More
8 years 7 months ago #1214 by token.paul
I spent almost year to research that. I know how to read the data stored inside firmware and I understand its structure. It is not so hard, really :) I can even say that EFI password was set 2 times on your MBA.
And yes, thaGHO5T just delete data from SVS area on his video and it works. BUT time going and the firmware has changing and perhaps the logic of EFI boot has changing and other many things may be changed. Deleting the data from SVS area is wrong, IMHO. But again, current behavior of the MBA may be related with other things like disk damage or damage of data on it and may be something just can not be read or written... In this case you need to erase all partitions on the disk and install OS from scratch.
Inside the file attached SVS area just replaced by clean area from another dump. They are identical in structure but has the different information.
To clean up the password I use a script of course... Take a look here: www.ghostlyhaks.com/forum/macbook/164-flashrom-c-switch-command-usage

More
8 years 7 months ago #1219 by thaGH05T
Trust token.paul on this as he is the GuRu of EFI now days. Deleting the $SVS area in most cases has proven to work only because the area is rebuilt with some sort of logic at first boot. Sometimes this is not the case we have found in newer macs, so using token.paul's script while a bit slower is the preferred method. I will post more about that later as well as a video token.paul has shared. Remember that this is not always going to be a quick fix, Apple will work on a patch and will implement it at some point. So as Apple evolves so will this community and its methods.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1227 by KeyStone
I solved the issue! I tried the bin you gave me token and it still came up with the same thing. I found out the issue was that I had Mac FileVault turned. After I turned it off and decrypted the drive it worked fine.

Thank you guys both for taking time to help me!

P.S.
Love the script and will be using it in the future!

Who's Online

We have 586 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies