How to connect to my Pi via Ethernet?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1681 by GenoBimboAZ
OK, so, first off I'm using a MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite. I have my Pi wired up to my clip and connected to my router via Ethernet, I have Windows 7 running on a box on my Mac and I need to know how do I use the "Putty" program on Windows to configure and setup the SSH/connection to Pi?

Also can I use the same commands he used in Linux in OS X's Terminal? Or would that not work?

I'm a total beginner and have read the entire tutorial on how to do it but I can't grasp how to do all that. Would someone please explain this portion of the process?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by GenoBimboAZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1693 by lolito
I´m also interested on this topic. I think SSH connection is some kind of protocol, to connect to a network machine, in this case the Rasperry Pi. I guess, I suppose, there must be SSH clients or programs or app, however you want to call it, available for the Mac, to make an SSH connection to a RasperryPi with Linux.

But, I think you need to have windows anyways to use that program that reads the dumb file extracted from the chip and/ or modify it, to then send it to the chip via the RasperryPi via SSH.

Please some one correct if these assumptions are right, thanks!

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1695 by GenoBimboAZ

lolito wrote: But, I think you need to have windows anyways to use that program that reads the dumb file extracted from the chip and/ or modify it, to then send it to the chip via the RasperryPi via SSH.

Windows isn't required to edit the dump as long as the program you're using to edit it can open .bin files.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1696 by lolito
If you read carefully, I did not say edit, I said read. To edit I guess you can edit in a MS-DOS text editor or Windows V1.0 from 1984. To read it you need a software compatible with the chip programmer device you are using. Some people seem to be using Bus Pirate USB programmer device with FlashRom software, which seems to be available for linux in stable releases, but for mac or windows, I´m not sure.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1698 by thaGH05T
You need to be seasoned in some of this in order to do it. SSH is a way to securely connect to a network device and drop into a shell. If you set the server up on the pi you can connect to it via the network on whatever machine you want with the credentials. Then you can run flashrom from the PC you are most comfortable with sitting at. i usually have my pi on my bench and sit at my PC across the room. You can then use whatever editor you want on whatever OS you want to modify the file and then push it over to the pi and flash it back to the chip. Simple concept that you need to know the routes to take in order to be successful. Which is why I created the tutorial. To dumb it down quite a bit.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1712 by GenoBimboAZ

thaGH05T wrote: You need to be seasoned in some of this in order to do it. SSH is a way to securely connect to a network device and drop into a shell. If you set the server up on the pi you can connect to it via the network on whatever machine you want with the credentials. Then you can run flashrom from the PC you are most comfortable with sitting at. i usually have my pi on my bench and sit at my PC across the room. You can then use whatever editor you want on whatever OS you want to modify the file and then push it over to the pi and flash it back to the chip. Simple concept that you need to know the routes to take in order to be successful. Which is why I created the tutorial. To dumb it down quite a bit.

I have done this before to share files between two Mac's. How do I setup the server on the pi? Do I need to connect a display/usb keyboard/mouse and setup the server in Raspbian's Preferences app? By PC do you mean Windows? Can I run flashrom from Ubuntu 15.04? What was the host OS if you were running a Windows box?

Also can you give me a link to download the right Raspbian OS for my blank 8GB SD, also does it matter which format the SD is?

More
8 years 5 months ago #1717 by thaGH05T
All you need to really do is set the pi up with raspbian, the sock version, and use it as the computer because that's what the pi is. You can do everything from the pi without the need of any other os or computer.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1729 by GenoBimboAZ

thaGH05T wrote: All you need to really do is set the pi up with raspbian, the sock version, and use it as the computer because that's what the pi is. You can do everything from the pi without the need of any other os or computer.

Please explain how to setup the server on the pi! Pretend I have it connected to a monitor, USB keyboard/mouse and have the latest Raspbian Wheezy on my SD card, can I use the same commands in the video, directly from my pi?

More
8 years 5 months ago #1740 by thaGH05T
Yes. Connect your pi to the monitor keyboard mouse and Ethernet cable. Place the SD card in the Pi. Turn it on and let it boot. Log in and follow this video.....

Who's Online

We have 692 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies