Change serial as easy as find and replace?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 7 months ago #4612 by lxx33
I read an eprom and when i searched for my serial with IHEX (from app strore) it found the serial.
When I replace it with any other serial and upload it to the MBP will it work, or are there a lot of extra thinks to consider?

Should it be exact the same amount of characters? Or can I place my complete name in it?

Many tnx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #4613 by therealjayvi
There is also a hash that is calculated via the correct serial number that should follow on the next couple of lines after your serial number, this is the hash that is sent to Apple to have them send u a file to unlock efi passwords. I would assume this may need to chance as well but I cannot say for sure. YES the .bin needs to be EXACTLY the same size as before any modifications otherwise even a 1 byte difference can cause severe damage to the chip. You can type anything you want into the serial field but just be aware that it may cause issues with things like FaceTime, iMessages, and the Mac App Store. I'd say give it a shot and come back and post results! Definitely make sure you always keep a backup to fix anything that could happen though ;) I'm interested in what you find out!

More
7 years 7 months ago #4614 by lxx33
Can I also alter the hash? if so, is there a tutorial somewhere?

I will try to change it tomorrow and let you know.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4677 by root
Keep us posted dude. I hope it works.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4678 by reverendalc
in my experience, changing the serial# (copy&paste) with your hex editor, will only change what system profiler shows.

AHT will show unknown serial, iCloud (FMM, etc) will still have control...

i would imagine that if you want apple servers etc to recognize this as a different machine, you will have to do more than simply changing the serial

More
7 years 6 months ago #4686 by root
I would not. too scary. Thanks for a reply.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4687 by reverendalc
Many of us have changed serials many times in the name of research or otherwise...

Everybody who's downloaded a dump from the repo has lol.

There's really nothing to lose, but at the same time nothing to gain

Who's Online

We have 298 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies