Imac 2011 Wifi problem (efi related)

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4664 by Roli
Hello , i want to make the story as short as possible so it wont get confusing .

I have an imac 2011 , i bought a new efi chip (mxic 25L6406E) and programed it ( i got the .bin from another imac ) , everything worked fine untill i want to search of wifi network ...
The problem is the imac isnt finding any wifi network , but its conected to my home wifi , again when i search for other networks it cannot find any network .

I deleted these files :

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist

After i deleted the files restarted the imac , and boom i found all wifi networks from my area , but soon after i shutdown or restart the imac , the problem is back , i cannot find any wifi networks
Can anyone tell me if this is the OSX related or the efi chip could hold wifi data ( maybe mac adress ) ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4669 by reverendalc
in your NVRAM, your mac stores wifi information. nvram -p typically won't list these, i'm not sure why.
you can find the following keys:
current-network
preferred-networks
security-password

i've had the most success studying this by loading ubuntu and playing with EFIVARS.

perhaps there's a configuration conflict between your iMac and any network info stored in the EFI of the other iMac.

can you post a copy of your com.apple.airport.preferences and network.identification plists?

also, you might clean the ME region

More
7 years 6 months ago #4674 by Roli
Hy , i cannot post a copy because i formated the main drive ( i wanted to install a new fresh copy of osX ) but internet recovery is just not working ,if i enter internet recovery it will be stuck at a spinning globe and later it gives an error message ( -2106 )

I wanna specify the operating sistem was working fine , but i had this wifi issue and i wanted to reinstall osX , but now i dont even have an operating sistem .
How can i reinstall an operating sistem on this imac 27 " ?

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4675 by reverendalc
i NEVER use internet recovery. it's a last resort, it's slow, it wants an appleID, etc...

i have USB install media for 10.6 through 10.12.

do you have access to another mac? you can make install media with windows too, but it's cumbersome

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by reverendalc.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4681 by Roli
I got the solution !
The problem was after i changed the efi chip ( i didnt have my old backuped because when i tried to remove it it broke ! , please dont judge me because i didnt know apple is using other type of solder in their boards :P ... )
So first i got an imac that worked perfectly only one problem was efi was passworded , i got a programmer and a new chip , my imac is the 2.7 ghz i5 version so i got the dump for it , i also did the " CLEAN ME REGION " and " INSERT SERIAL NUMBER " in hex .
After i wrote the chip with the programmer i solderd the mxic chip back on the logicboard .
It started okay , it loaded the OS and everything was fine , i thought ...
After a day when i want to see other WLANS ( connect to other network ) there was no other network , not even one , but strangely it was conencted to my home wlan network , again when i searched for networks it didnt find no networks , so i deleted these files :

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist

After i restarted the imac , every wlan came back , but after another restart the problem came back , again no wlans ...
So what i did was reinstaled the os X ( internet install ) , but installed it on a 2.4G network because when i conected to my 5g network a spinning globe came on the screen, and it wasnt working , it gave an error -2106F , i searched for this error but nobody got it so what i did i conected to a 2.4G network and everything went fine , it was a clean mac osX install over the internet .
At this phase everything was working perfectly ! no problems with wlan , it was working just fine !

Im sorry that i wrote this much , but maybe someone is out there with the same problem and maybe needs this to solve it .
I specially want to thank an admin on this forum ( Therealjayvi ) because he helped me a lot with the efi programing and the serial number , and ofc he provided me the dump for the i5 2.7 GHZ Imac mid 2011 ! , he is a great !

Everyone with this problem should follow exactly like i did and it will be fine !

More
7 years 6 months ago #4685 by reverendalc
that's great! i'm glad you got it up and running

Who's Online

We have 306 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies