Macmini 5.1-Mid2011-A1347-Core i5-2.3Ghz-EMC 2442

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 5 months ago #1724 by lolito
Seems like mac mini dumb's are hard to find, harder than macbooks at least. If any one could donate a dumb for this model, I would highly appreciate it. Hopefully if fixes this machine.

Macmini 5.1
Mid2011
A1347
Core i5-2.3Ghz
EMC 2442

Thanks!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1739 by thaGH05T
Why cant you use the original? It can be modified with no dump needed.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1744 by lolito
I´m scared to fuck it up, or to edit the wrong thing and brick the machine. For this baby I ended up ordering a new chip with the efi already programmed. So I just have to solder it, hope that works.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1749 by thaGH05T
man that is way more dangerous, but to each is own. You should dump your old and new chip and post the files here for future reference.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1753 by
Spend a few pounds on the right stuff and reading and writing the chip is easy and way safer than soldering...really you want a heat station to solder these boards properly or be VERY good with an iron!

More
8 years 5 months ago #1754 by thaGH05T
I could agree with you, but not about using an iron lol. If you can desolder a chip such as this with an iron you are a master!

More
8 years 5 months ago #1755 by lolito
Opening a beer is more difficult that replacing this chip. heat up, remove. Put the new one, heat it up. Rework station is right here next to me. the chip reprogrammer is who knows were in a place near Guanzho, with another 2 million parcels...

More
8 years 5 months ago #1756 by
OK...maybe I understated the on the soldering skills needed lol...I know most would rather read/write it!!

More
8 years 5 months ago #1757 by thaGH05T
Ha, @lolito I am guessing you have never blown off one of those tiny gnat on a rats ass resistors right beside the chip then???

More
8 years 5 months ago #1758 by lolito
You guess well mate. I use aluminium foil tape everytime to cover the surroundings. Uber sophisticated Hi-tech stuff for 3$ 50 meters. When I worked at NASA the used the same shit.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1759 by lolito
What I don't understand is why, if I can just edit the original, why do you guys have a repository of dumbs, but hey, I will find out sooner or later, like at NASA.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1760 by
Ooooook....so you're a professional that has uber sophisticated equipment like when you worked at NASA, yet in your first post your scared to try and read/write a chip?...anyway, there are various ways to remove iCloud lock, manual edit, running a script, or using a clean dump which you just add your serial number to. If your not confident using an editor and changing your dump as needed, run the script which will do it for you...having trouble running the script, then use a clean dump. All options provided by people who can do, to help people who can't do it and make it as simple for us as possible. If your not comfortable with any of those options, personally I don't think you should be inside a mac!...but good luck with your soldering and I hope you get the result you want
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1761 by thaGH05T
LOL, +1 Karma for that @fast.flow... But, to answer yout question @lolito; the reason I have a repository here is so if you for some reason corrumpt your firmware or the chip blows up you have a contingency plan. It is recommended that you only use it in dire emergencies. There is a lot mor under the hood of flashing EFI than I actually post. Dare I say token.paul is more or less an expert on the subject. The least invasive approach is the best of course and then you will escalate accordingly. Here is the escalation although I prefer to flash the chip.
  • Brute Force
  • HDD Modification (Work Around - EFI pass will still exist but you will have a working mac)
  • Flashing the EFI Chip
  • Replacing the chip entirely

Hope this helps to answer the underlying questions you may have. I think it may be time that I create a flow chart for the ways to critically think about removing EFI?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by thaGH05T.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , lolito

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1765 by lolito
Clear. And also clear that it's easier to fuck it up editing the file that replacing the chip. Otherwise there would be no need to make dumb requests, obviously, if editing the file worked always or as easily. Actually, reading a bit you can find that there is people that desolder and then resolder the chip for reprogramming it, instead of using the clip. I should not be called soldering even, it's just take it out with heat, and put it back with heat. More a rework work, than a solder work.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by lolito.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1771 by thaGH05T
Yes, valid points on some of what you are saying. In the end "To each, his own.".

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1803 by lolito
I received the chip, but I don't know if I should do it. the chip has a different codes written on it. I attach some photos with the chips next to each other.

Do you guys know if this chip would be compatible? Should I better return it and try the reprogram option?

I think I don't want to risk it. I´m waiting for a reprogram device and a cheap soic8 clip. I found a good seller for a Pomona clip, so will have to order that one too I guess. I will keep you updated. The mac mini seems to be unlocked less often, so I guess this will be helpful for the comunity.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by lolito.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1804 by lolito
This is the location of the chip on the board:

Attachments:

More
8 years 4 months ago #1818 by lolito
does anyone knows if these chips are compatible with each other, or where can i get the diagrams to check that? thanks.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1822 by thaGH05T
You can google these for their datasheet, but they are 100% compatible, they all do the exact same thing when the exact same firmware is loaded onto them. Look up the datasheet and ensure voltage requirements are the same as well as physical memory of the chip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1830 by lolito
Thanks a lot for the help!! I researched a bit and yes, the pin diagrams seems to be exactly the same... I put some photos. I´m waiting for both some good flux and solder shield tape, and the reprogrammer. I received the cheap chinese clip, seems to hold to the chip well enough... hope it works.

Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by lolito.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CygnusX1

Who's Online

We have 313 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies