SOFI SP8 or TL866CS programmers; which one faster?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 5 months ago #1723 by lolito
Hello everyone!!!

I´m in the market to play a bit with this thing of EFI chip reprogramming. I have access to many macs so I plan to upload many efi chip dumbs to the forum once I get my setup going.

I planned on buying one of this chip reprogrammers and they are affordable and work easily via USB and windows. I would get one MBA Easy Flash as soon as they get avaialble again.

My question is which one of these common chip programmers should I buy, which one is faster. Price is very similar and they look very similar externaly and in the connections, but I guess there might be a difference. Do you guys know how much time takes one of these bad boys to read an 8Mb dumb? Any notiveable difference in total time between these two?

Thanks a lot in avance!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #1730 by CygnusX1
I have the SOFI SP8 and don't much care for it. The Raspberry Pi is the way to go!!

If I helped you buy me a latte!

More
8 years 5 months ago #1733 by thaGH05T
I tend to agree, I love the pi as its fast and versatile. lol I know that really doesn't answer your question though @lolito.

More
8 years 1 month ago #2762 by KingBonecrusher
Hi!

I have both of them. The SP8-A is the choice if you want to have a ready to go Flasher! You should use a Ponoma Clip, because they are fine and much better than the China clips! The TL866CS could be converted to an TL866A. I`ve done this, not a big deal. But the TL866A is hard limited in SPI Flashing! For SPI use the SP8-A!

The speed of the SP8-A is incredible if the Chip is read in the ZIF Port. Only Seconds for a 16MB Flash Chip. But you know, we like to read SPI, and in this case the TL866A and SP8-A are both not fast.

rg

More
8 years 1 month ago #2764 by zenelli

KingBonecrusher wrote: Hi!

I have both of them. The SP8-A is the choice if you want to have a ready to go Flasher! You should use a Ponoma Clip, because they are fine and much better than the China clips! The TL866CS could be converted to an TL866A. I`ve done this, not a big deal. But the TL866A is hard limited in SPI Flashing! For SPI use the SP8-A!

The speed of the SP8-A is incredible if the Chip is read in the ZIF Port. Only Seconds for a 16MB Flash Chip. But you know, we like to read SPI, and in this case the TL866A and SP8-A are both not fast.

rg

Can you maybe tell me why sp8-a and the tl866 can't read or write N25Q064a chip from macbook air?

More
8 years 1 month ago #2765 by cyber16
Maybe its because the chip in the macbook air is a BGA and its hard to make contact to the pins with a clip ;)

More
8 years 1 month ago #2766 by KingBonecrusher
I`am using the SP8-A with SPI to work with W25Q128BV ICs (SPO16). It works very well. But for BGA IC`s that`s not working.

I have an RaspBerry Pi 3 for now. But is a Pi Zero not also working?

More
8 years 1 month ago #2767 by zenelli

Cyber16 wrote: Maybe its because the chip in the macbook air is a BGA and its hard to make contact to the pins with a clip ;)

Even if I desolder the bga chip its not working
but I can select the chip from device list so its very strainge.

More
8 years 1 month ago #2768 by zenelli

KingBonecrusher wrote: I`am using the SP8-A with SPI to work with W25Q128BV ICs (SPO16). It works very well. But for BGA IC`s that`s not working.

I have an RaspBerry Pi 3 for now. But is a Pi Zero not also working?

I had this problem only with Micron N25Q064A bga chip,
But the macronic MX25L6406EZNI BGA it works very well.

Raspberry pi works very well with both of them. I have the model B+
PI zero don't know

More
8 years 1 month ago #2778 by thaGH05T
Zenelli, I think you are limited to software right now, I would have to check teh datasheet, but the op-codes may differ slightly.

More
8 years 1 month ago #2788 by zenelli

thaGH05T wrote: Zenelli, I think you are limited to software right now, I would have to check teh datasheet, but the op-codes may differ slightly.

What are op-codes?

More
8 years 1 month ago #2791 by CygnusX1

zenelli wrote:

thaGH05T wrote: Zenelli, I think you are limited to software right now, I would have to check teh datasheet, but the op-codes may differ slightly.

What are op-codes?

An opcode is a single instruction that can be executed by the CPU. In machine language it is a binary or hexadecimal value such as 'B6' loaded into the instruction register.

If I helped you buy me a latte!

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #2845 by thaGH05T
Yes, it is how you talk to the chip basically

Who's Online

We have 497 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies