MACBOOK AIR 1,8 GHz A1466 EMC 2925 2015/2017

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
6 years 4 months ago #8965 by mang0s
Hi
Just want to share a working method (for me) to reset efi password on this MBA
Using RASPBERRY and EFIDL adapter for MBA
I had a lot of trouble getting a good read from my chip (Winbound W25Q64FCZPIG). Not a single read that was the other alike.
So why is this. I downloaded schematic for my MBA motherboard and openboardview for the same. Did not find my revision but it was close enough.
There i could se that VCC was not powered from the adapter with 3.3V, it is comming from other parts of the board. So when measuring voltage on pin 8 i would
get like 1-2 volts. Not enogh!!
So with board view i tried to find i good point to tap in another 3.3 volt from the raspberry. I could not find any on top side, so removed the board and found a testpoint near the chip. Se pictures. There i added a probe from one of the 3.3 outpouts from the GPIO on the Raspberry.
And now i get good reads with same MD5.
After that i just used the scan-and-patch script from here.
Did the same when writing back to the chip. Put the probe on the same spot.
After that i put the board back and cleared PRAM, Booted to USB and reinstalled OSX.
Remark.
Did not have any power connected.
No SSD
No Airport card
All connectors removed but the EFIDL adapter and my probe.
Dont know if all this is needed but the less connected the less is using power.
So the key for this is VCC to the chip. Probably same problem other are having with same generation of motherboards.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyber16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8974 by cyber16
Next time try
When powered off, power on, then once you see fan spin power it off right away & continue to hold that power button, then try to read
You would need to do the same for write back as well, this method does work on some of the newer models.

good info you posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mang0s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who's Online

We have 307 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies