Flashing Micron 25Q064A on MBA 2013/2014


Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 1 month ago #1613 by greekhero
Hello, has anyone had success with flashing the 25Q064A using the clip? I can program the MXIC not not this Micron chip; the chip is not recognized at all. I wonder if anyone has been able to and what programmer are they using?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1615 by zenelli

greekhero wrote: Hello, has anyone had success with flashing the 25Q064A using the clip? I can program the MXIC not not this Micron chip; the chip is not recognized at all. I wonder if anyone has been able to and what programmer are they using?


Hi,
I have this problem too i have a minipro TL866cs and a sofi sp16B programmer and both of this programmers can´t read or write this chip even i can select it from the device list.
But with the raspberry pi it is no problem i don´t know why
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolito

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1616 by greekhero
Hi Zinelli,

Glad to hear that you are able to access it using the RaspberryPi. I have never used it for flashing/reading rom. Do you recommend a software/hardware combo or a tutorial that I can use with it?

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1617 by dcouly
Hello, you can use BX25q64A with SP8 OF SOFI. If you have a message about unknown device just continu... if you have a message about curent exeed, then connect 3.3v directly on pin 8 of the cheap and the ground on pin 4. garanted it works! i have sp8-A.

One always needs smaller than oneself ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1618 by zenelli

dcouly wrote: Hello, you can use BX25q64A with SP8 OF SOFI. If you have a message about unknown device just continu... if you have a message about curent exeed, then connect 3.3v directly on pin 8 of the cheap and the ground on pin 4. garanted it works! i have sp8-A.


HI,
So instead of Micron 25Q064A i must search for BX25Q64A Right??
How can i connect directly pin 8 and pin 4 without unsoldering the chip?

Many Thank's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1619 by zenelli

greekhero wrote: Hi Zinelli,

Glad to hear that you are able to access it using the RaspberryPi. I have never used it for flashing/reading rom. Do you recommend a software/hardware combo or a tutorial that I can use with it?

Many thanks!


I didn't also used raspberry before, All the information is in this site i'm also a noob with raspberry but it works.
Just read this forum and you will get your answers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1631 by dcouly
Hello with a multimeter (continuty test or buzzer) try to find a test point on motherboard. sometimes it's the bottom of one resistor near of the eepromm cheap and near of pin 8. look at this scheme attached. this scheme is for tl866 programmer. you have to put your contacts at the bottom of your sofi programmer. good luck bro.


One always needs smaller than oneself ...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zenelli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1636 by zenelli

dcouly wrote: Hello with a multimeter (continuty test or buzzer) try to find a test point on motherboard. sometimes it's the bottom of one resistor near of the eepromm cheap and near of pin 8. look at this scheme attached. this scheme is for tl866 programmer. you have to put your contacts at the bottom of your sofi programmer. good luck bro.


Hi,
where did you find this scheme?
what power supply you use? can I use 2 AA battery's?
And did you unlocked MacBook air before with the clip from thaghost and the Sofi SP8A

Many thank's for the info Bro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #1641 by thaGH05T
Usually as long as the software supports the chip for R/W it will absolutely work. Sometimes the software needs to be told what to look for because the probing is unsuccessful or sometimes you need to verify your voltage. Voltage drop is one of the biggest things that gets a lot of you guys here ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #1685 by dcouly
No... forget about 2 AA battery's. You have to use a good and stable power supply sometimes it's works better with 3.7v I don't why but be sure that it will work. In device choice with my SP8-A of SOFI i take successfully w25q64A, bx25Q64A OR W25Q64, Another advice: don't erase the chip before your 3 .bin files saved are verified as good by Token Paul or Tha ghost. Good luck.

One always needs smaller than oneself ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #1704 by thaGH05T
Actually erasing the chip is never recommended., I only mention it for the sake of mentioning it. Even better way to do it is create a patch file as token.paul suggests and use that. You can use his script to do this automatically for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #1786 by zenelli

dcouly wrote: No... forget about 2 AA battery's. You have to use a good and stable power supply sometimes it's works better with 3.7v I don't why but be sure that it will work. In device choice with my SP8-A of SOFI i take successfully w25q64A, bx25Q64A OR W25Q64, Another advice: don't erase the chip before your 3 .bin files saved are verified as good by Token Paul or Tha ghost. Good luck.


So you use only the sofi programmer for MacBook pro and air?
or do you have another programmer?
I still did not used your advice because i'm searching for a power supply, but I must tell that the chip in MBA 25Q064A (Without legs) my sofi programmer can't even read or write even if I unsolder the chip.
But the chips with legs (in MacBook Pro) also 25Q064A that's no problem if I unsolder the chip .
how can this be?? By the way sofi support sucks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #1793 by thaGH05T
The chips are identical, the issue lies in the setup. Either there is something in your way or your voltage just isn't right. That is usually the issue even when I struggle with a read.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #1801 by zenelli

thaGH05T wrote: The chips are identical, the issue lies in the setup. Either there is something in your way or your voltage just isn't right. That is usually the issue even when I struggle with a read.


Is there any clip in the market for this kind of eeprom chip? (SEE PICTURE)
second how the pro's or the noobs here unlock efi for the macbook pro model 1502 who uses this kind of chip (without legs)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 week ago #1823 by thaGH05T
Well, that package size is the entire reason I came out with the MBA Easy Flash tool, which is being expanded on now to create a Universal Easy Flash tool. In short, you are SOL until I come out with the clip unless you want to solder to the chip or to the board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #9997 by santoslao
Hello, I was able to read this chip "MICRON 25Q064A" with a "CH341A BLACK" using the attached SW, if anyone still needs it. It is compatible with other readers as well.
:woohoo:


Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by santoslao.
The following user(s) said Thank You: camurgo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who's Online

We have 549 guests and no members online

N00BZ

  • sajidmirza
  • Twotall83
  • Twotall1983
  • Smagaso
  • xmoney

Cookies