Missing ME Region

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 5 months ago #1571 by lenswaer
Missing ME Region was created by lenswaer
This is my first post and I have specific problem that will probably involve learning some general skills.

So I bought a liquid damaged MacBook Pro retina Mid 2014. After cleaning it up the computer powers on but cant boot the OS. I Have run ASD EFI and it came back with a big fail on Management Engine Presence Test - No ME Region found.

I cant see that any chips have been replaced so I'm guessing either the chip is stuffed or someone has improperly flashed the BIOS ?

Anyway I have ordered some new tools :
  • SOIC8 SOP8 Flash Chip IC Test Clips Socket Adpter BIOS/24/25/93 Programmer
  • TL866A

But if anyone has any pointers to get this noob started would be grateful.

Also I have lots of machines in various states of repair and would be happy to share any EFI dumps once I get my gear together.
More
8 years 5 months ago #1572 by lenswaer
Replied by lenswaer on topic Missing ME Region
Hmm just watched your vid on MBA clip - sounds like I have the wrong type of gear with the TL866A
More
8 years 5 months ago #1578 by token.paul
Replied by token.paul on topic Missing ME Region
I don't think that ASD reported error is related to BIOS flash chip, it may mean that Management Engine code not loaded. You may try boot it into single user mode and look messages in /var/log/system.log.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lenswaer
More
8 years 5 months ago #1592 by lenswaer
Replied by lenswaer on topic Missing ME Region
Thanks token.paul you were absolutely right!

I wasn't been able to boot into single user mode previously, and it would lockup booting in Verbose mode. But after I have disconnected the keyboard and used an external, I could install a fresh OS and it seems to be running fine. No more Fail in ASD so I guess the ME Region was repaired during the reinstall or the damaged keyboard was messing it up ? Anyway, this has sparked my interest to learn more about the Firmware on these chips. :woohoo:
More
8 years 5 months ago #1603 by thaGH05T
Replied by thaGH05T on topic Missing ME Region
lol, people frequently thank me for helping them, but you guys should know Token.Paul is leagues above me when it comes to a mac and I am so glad to have his knowledge here on my site helping all who ask.

Who's Online

We have 246 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies