Efi Removal Step-by-Step

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4811 by asterix99
Hello,
I'd like to apply the EFI removal guide to my Mac Book Air.

I wonder if it's ok for my model:

MAC Book Air A1465 EMC 2558

I forgot:
I can't find the product to flash... I only find eeprom programmer, for example by Skypro.

can I use that ? or can you give some suggest about eeprom flash products ?

Thanks
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by asterix99.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4819 by reverendalc
there are numerous pieces of equipment which can flash your MacBook. many programmers are not powerful enough to flash the chip in-circuit. this can be circumvented by adding your own 3.3v power supply, but it can get complicated if you're new to the process.

i would recommend using a raspberry pi, as it's greatly supported here on the forums and doesn't require additional 3v3 sources.

if you're going to flash the chip in-circuit, i would recommend the pi 2 or 3 model B.

do you plan to remove the chip, or to flash in-circuit?
More
7 years 6 months ago #4823 by asterix99
Replied by asterix99 on topic Efi Removal Step-by-Step
Thanks for reply...

yes I want to flash the chip in-circuit as explained in the guide "Step by Step EFI removal".

I've found all the hardware suggest for prerequisites on every steps, I've the PI3 Model B and the only hardware I can't find is in page 3 to flash the chip:

MBA EZ Flash Clip by thaGH05T OR Competitor EZ Flash Clip by RebelSimCard (for MacBook Air & later MacBook Pro models)

ghostlyhaks.com/blog/apple-efi/31-efi-removal-step-by-step?showall=&start=2

I found on ebay many eeprom programmer but I don't know which buy.
What do you suggest in alternative to flash that I can easily find on internet?

Many thanks :cheer:
More
7 years 6 months ago #4824 by reverendalc
If you have a raspberry pi, that IS your programmer and you don't need any eeprom tools from eBay etc.

What you need is an adapter to interface with the debug header on the logic board.

That is the MBA ezflash or competitor clip. If you cannot locate one of those for purchase, then your remaining options are to find test points and traces to connect to (on the logic board near the chip) or remove the chip and program out of circuit.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4831 by reverendalc
We no longer have the MBA ezflash available for sale, but a new set of adapters should be out almost immediately.

Check this out for another non-removal option:
ghostlyhaks.com/blog/apple-efi/18-how-to-hack-apple-efi-2

It's got some pictures about connecting to the chip in-circuit without an adapter.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4834 by asterix99
If I well understand I can use the SOIC8 SPI Flash Clip to flash the EFI chip, I think it's more easy to find on amazon.

The only thing is that the SOIC8 SPI Flash Clip I find (for example this https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B012VSGQ0Q/ ) has a connnector to the extreme.

Do you think I can extract that cables from the clip and use the GPIO cables instead or can you point me to a better SOIC8 clip solution ?

Thanks!
More
7 years 6 months ago #4835 by reverendalc
Your MacBook Air does not have an EFI chip with exposed legs. That clip will not work.

Pomona clip is for sop8 packages:

Your MacBook Air has wson package:

Attachments:
More
7 years 6 months ago #4836 by asterix99
Therefore what should I use to flash it ? Thanks.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4837 by reverendalc
You will need an adapter to connect your programmer to the debug header on the MacBook Air logic board.

We are sold out of the ezflash model as well as the competitor clips, but should be launching a new line any day now. You can also check with rebelsimcard or kadentech for similar hardware, though it's very overpriced thru them.

Additionally, you could try to brute force the password, or connect your programmer directly to adjacent pads on the logic board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asterix99
More
7 years 6 months ago #4838 by asterix99
I understand :(

Do you refer to this
http://d2vq2wub736qgs.cloudfront.net/users/27693/images/detailed/2/Rebel_macbook_easy-flashi-air-pro.jpg?t=1457575862 ?

and last question can you explain better this:

...or connect your programmer directly to adjacent pads on the logic board....

and how can I connect at? using clip or some other hardware ?

Thanks again!
More
7 years 6 months ago #4839 by reverendalc
Yes that type of adapter is required to program the EFI chip via debug header.

You can also do this:

And solder your programmer leads to the logic board at available points which are connected to the appropriate pins on the chip
Attachments:
More
7 years 6 months ago #4841 by mariob
Replied by mariob on topic Efi Removal Step-by-Step

asterix99 wrote: I understand :(

Do you refer to this
http://d2vq2wub736qgs.cloudfront.net/users/27693/images/detailed/2/Rebel_macbook_easy-flashi-air-pro.jpg?t=1457575862 ?

and last question can you explain better this:

...or connect your programmer directly to adjacent pads on the logic board....

and how can I connect at? using clip or some other hardware ?

Thanks again!

The following is an outline of its logic board, how to read your chip correctly!

You have to solder the wires to the correct points of its logic board, as it is in the picture!

Note. You will need to feed the wire pin 4 with GND, and the wire pin 8 with 3.3v!

Only then will have a correct reading.

Attachments:
More
7 years 6 months ago #4842 by asterix99
Thanks Mariob...the hardware in the right "Yourobot" can be the Raspberry pi?
Sorry for the noob question but can you point me the hardware I need to buy to correctly flash the efi chip?
Thanks
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #4843 by mariob
Replied by mariob on topic Efi Removal Step-by-Step

asterix99 wrote: Thanks Mariob...the hardware in the right "Yourobot" can be the Raspberry pi?
Sorry for the noob question but can you point me the hardware I need to buy to correctly flash the efi chip?
Thanks

It may be the Raspberry PI yes!
For these chips "WSON" I use Easy Flash and MiniPro Programer
TL866CS, never had bugs!
And for the SOIC8, use the adapter Clip 5250 Pomona

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by mariob.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4845 by reverendalc
Very nice illustration mariob.

Asterix if you already have a raspberry pi and DONT have the programmer, you can do it all with the pi alone as well.

In marios schematic the device on the lower right is only used to generate 3.3v power because that particular programmer isn't capable. It only does 1.8v I think. The raspberry pi can do all of your SPI connections AND the 3v3 power.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4846 by asterix99
Yes I'm ok with all.... the only part I've "difficult" is about attach to efi chip.
I've to decide if solder the wires (but I've no the tools and I should buy it and however I never did it, I'm more a "software guy" :( ) or buy the Easy Flash Clip by rebelsimcard or ebay or some other place.... if someone can suggest me..... ;)

Is it ok to power on my Raspberry by this https://goo.gl/X9ZGZS ?

Thanks Reverendalc and mariob for preciuos help I'm learning much....and I think the community also. Sorry for my poor english :blink:

reverendalc wrote: Very nice illustration mariob.

Asterix if you already have a raspberry pi and DONT have the programmer, you can do it all with the pi alone as well.

In marios schematic the device on the lower right is only used to generate 3.3v power because that particular programmer isn't capable. It only does 1.8v I think. The raspberry pi can do all of your SPI connections AND the 3v3 power.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4847 by reverendalc
Your job will be much easier with the adapter from rebelsimcard. You will simply attach your programmer wires to the clip, then plug the clip onto the logic board. You needn't remove the board for that.

I'm not sure what the clip sells for right now, but it's surely more expensive than a cheap soldering iron.

Pros (for clip):
Adapter clip will be good for all MacBook Air models 2010-2014
Adapter clip is very easy to use

Pros (for solder):
Less expensive
Soldering equipment good for many other things
Knowledge gained will be applicable to all apple products 2006-current.
More
7 years 6 months ago #4876 by asterix99
If I use the solder solution is it ok the voltage 5V - 2.5A adapter to turn-on my Raspberry ?

Thanks

reverendalc wrote:
Pros (for solder):
Less expensive
Soldering equipment good for many other things
Knowledge gained will be applicable to all apple products 2006-current.

More
7 years 6 months ago #4879 by reverendalc
Yes that voltage and amperage is good
More
7 years 5 months ago #4907 by asterix99
What's the best way to find the correct contact point on logic board where to solder the wires ?
Thanks

mariob wrote:

The following is an outline of its logic board, how to read your chip correctly!

You have to solder the wires to the correct points of its logic board, as it is in the picture!

Note. You will need to feed the wire pin 4 with GND, and the wire pin 8 with 3.3v!

Only then will have a correct reading.

Who's Online

We have 341 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies