SVCTAG>EXE

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
6 years 4 months ago #8750 by mvd076
SVCTAG>EXE was created by mvd076
hello

Iam looking for the new version of the dell SVCTAG.EXE who's workin on the new dells, or a method to change
te tag in the biosdump, i see newer dells has 2 bioschips.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8870 by an0n107
Replied by an0n107 on topic SVCTAG>EXE
+1 had to replace and out of warranty mobo on a dell and the service tag needs to be changed.

Tried the old Service Tag A28 2005 but it's not working on anything post 2008 by the looks of it.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8915 by KingBonecrusher
Replied by KingBonecrusher on topic SVCTAG>EXE
Hi!

A28 is not a service tag. This is the bios version. The service tag should be 7 letters and/or numbers. svctag.exe is for older mdels and will not work on newer ones. You cannot change the serial in the eeprom, will be overwritten. I think the service tag is saved anywhere else for backup.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8935 by drgn997
Replied by drgn997 on topic SVCTAG>EXE

KingBonecrusher wrote: Hi!

...I think the service tag is saved anywhere else for backup.

I believe Service Tag is stored inside EC/KBC chip, usually a SMSC MECxxxx chip.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8936 by an0n107

KingBonecrusher wrote: Hi!

A28 is not a service tag. This is the bios version. The service tag should be 7 letters and/or numbers. svctag.exe is for older mdels and will not work on newer ones. You cannot change the serial in the eeprom, will be overwritten. I think the service tag is saved anywhere else for backup.

Thanks, sorry I worded that poorly as I was in a hurry. ' Service Tag A28' is the application package containing the most recent update of svctag.exe which was 2005. I'm finding it almost impossible to try and modify the Service Tag. I can see it in the BIOS, it looks like it is stored in the DMI Tables/SMBIOS, when I run CrystalDMI.exe it is visible there. If there is a way to erase it or delete it then it should default to a blank field and allows you to reset it once.

More
6 years 4 months ago #8940 by KingBonecrusher
There is a newer version of svctag around there. I have it, but it will not work. For what i know it can only run in the internal dell network.

Maybe vnn567 will take this as challenge to get something to work ;-)

My idea is to trick the bios to think there is no service tag set, then you could set a new one. I have done this successfully with an dell insyde bios a year ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an0n107

More
6 years 4 months ago #8952 by an0n107
Thanks, wonder if you could make a bootable disk with some sort of VM so the application thinks its on the internal Dell network?

Well if @vnn567 can figure it out then he's ahead of EVERYONE on multiple forums, I've spent about 2 weeks looking for a solution and I'm fairly tech-savvy. The closest I've found to a solution was this but I'm shit with Linux and GitHub stuff, give me good instructions and I'll follow them to a ltter and sort the problem but this repo has nothing: github.com/dell/libsmbios ("Libsmbios, A library for interacting with Dell SMBIOS tables")
It has a Service Tag section:
github.com/dell/libsmbios/blob/master/src/libsmbios_c/system_info/service_tag.c

I've tried to make mods with a couple of AMI programs and I managed to get a copy of DMIEdit but I've received a few 'BIOS is write-protected' errors.

I think you are absolutely right @Kingbonecrusher if you can trick/make the BIOS think there is no service tag then the user is free to set/correct it.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #8966 by KingBonecrusher
Get a full bios dump, extract the SETUP and then use this tool:

github.com/LongSoft/Universal-IFR-Extractor

Maybe you have success. Like i said, i was able to do this, but it was not an original DELL bios.... maybe aptio or insyde.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by KingBonecrusher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an0n107

More
6 years 3 months ago #8996 by an0n107
Unfortunately that only has .cpp files and no exe's. When I try and run the CPP file in CMD.exe it just opens a notepad file and shows me a whole heap of what looks like C++ code which I have no idea how to read.

I did manage to find a .rom file for the BIOS and modify it in AMIBCP v4.53 which says the Dell BIOS is Aptio 4? I think I have been able to wipe the fields for Service Tag and Asset but now I have no idea how to put the .rom back into the Dell BIOS update EXE file.

More
6 years 3 months ago #9020 by an0n107
Ok so with a bit of help I've managed to backup my BIOS using "BACKUP_Tools19l" which appears to make a dump of my BIOS to a .bin file.
I've been able to open it up in a HEX editor and make the required modifications, only trouble is machine is a Dell write-protected Dual-chip BIOS.

I have my .bin/.rom file but have no idea on how to flash the modded dump back?  Any ideas?

More
6 years 3 months ago #9024 by KingBonecrusher
Get an spi reader like the raspberry. You need to make a backup of the main and ec bios. You need to kit both files to one file. Forget the hex editor, it`s like a zipped filesystem. You need to extract the pe32 images and then you could use an disassembler. And if you are good and have time like hell maybe you will find the correct place in those hundereds of DXE and SSM files....

rg

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #9077 by KingBonecrusher

I was able to dig into the dell service menu. :cheer: There you can type a new service and asset tag, but the service tag seems to be more secured. Asset tag is set, but service tag is old one. Seems to be hardware protected....

I was aslo able to dig into the original aptio bios where i was able to set the service tag, but same. after save setup and reboot the old comes back.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by KingBonecrusher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: le-hoang-vu

More
6 years 3 months ago #9084 by mvd076
Replied by mvd076 on topic SVCTAG>EXE
you are a long way, I think the service tag still saved state on a different chip, it's a lot harder if the older models in any case :cheer:

More
6 years 3 months ago #9092 by snmp_rape
Replied by snmp_rape on topic SVCTAG>EXE
the only way to write a new service tag is as follows on the new dells.. (i have friends that work for alienware and it works on them just fine)

you need a brand new motherboard for the computer/laptop you want to rewrite the service tag on.. why?? because they come blank with the option to write the service tag in upon booting in to bios for the first time.. after that its locked.. so what we would do on all the alienwares ..form 2013 on was this..
get ahold of the new replacement board and dump the bios or just bios and flash it to your board and whalla! you can now write your service tag.. the bios for each computer is floating around out there some where.
now all new dells have blind flash method to recover the system in case of a bad flash and you need to figure out what that is for your system as the blind flash method is the only way this will work..

of course you need to know how to properly flash a dell bios first and im not going to get into that as that wasnt the question..

but hey there ya go.. ive swapped countless alienwares out using this trick.. then rewriting the bios back to the original service tag and reselling the brand new out warranty machines..

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #9093 by KingBonecrusher
Thank you sharing this info!!!! ;)

So what i thought in the meantime, there is a special "bit" which enables write/factory config on the service tag. I think the option is enabled all the time and checked during boot all the time. But after the first write the bit/bits are nulled or removed. There are enough DXE which sounds like to check this during post.

Are you willing to share some blank factory images for test? I have an Alienware 18 lying around from 2013. Maybe you will send me an image? I will do then a research to find the correct bit.

More
6 years 3 months ago #9097 by snmp_rape
Replied by snmp_rape on topic SVCTAG>EXE

KingBonecrusher wrote: Thank you sharing this info!!!! ;)

So what i thought in the meantime, there is a special "bit" which enables write/factory config on the service tag. I think the option is enabled all the time and checked during boot all the time. But after the first write the bit/bits are nulled or removed. There are enough DXE which sounds like to check this during post.

Are you willing to share some blank factory images for test? I have an Alienware 18 lying around from 2013. Maybe you will send me an image? I will do then a research to find the correct bit.

i gfot a couple of new m18x-r2 boards lying around that should have that bios on them.. let me dig thru my stuff to see what i can dig out..
i also got unlocked or opened up bioses that let you tweak all features.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #9099 by KingBonecrusher
That would be great to get a dump of such a factory bios. The best would be 2 dumps, before service tag done and after that to compare and find differences. I think those ones have also ec and main eeprom? Please dump both of them, i can handle them ;-) I have everything lying around to flash eeproms directly.

To unlock the *not working* :whistle: service menu i have reflashed the ec/main around 50 times....

More
5 years 11 months ago #9668 by KingBonecrusher
After all this time i have done it. I don`t think there is a factory bios like snmp_rape told us!

Success!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tgmakin

More
5 years 7 months ago #10290 by toufou
Replied by toufou on topic SVCTAG>EXE
Hello !

Congratulations !! :cheer:

Is it possible to write a little tutorial withs links (if specials tools are needed ?) ... about how to change, or how to delete service tag on the new UEFI / BIOS DELL ?

thanks in advance for your help ;-)

T.

More
4 years 10 months ago #11282 by gadugadu
Replied by gadugadu on topic SVCTAG>EXE
Hi 

There is anyone  who know how to change/erase service tag on dell XPS 9560 

Is that possible ?

Thank You

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies