A1466 13" Air With Competitor's Easy Flash

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 8 months ago #4282 by baileyw813
I purchased the Competitor edition of the Air easy flash.

I am trying to use it on an A1466 13" 2013 Air.

I was having issues prior getting the flash to read properly and was hoping it was just my clip.

Even with the Easy flash I am having issues. After it detects the chip, it reads it. Then it saves the .bin file to my desktop, but again it's not getting a good read.
When I open the file in the default Raspbian text editor, on one line shows up (when I download a good/clean dump from on here, the text editor opens it just fine with a ton of data in the file.)

Here is what I've done to try and troubleshoot, in the past.

I have short 10cm wires.
I have 3 or 4 power supplies, all rated at 5v 2-2.1A (I've measured the voltage at the clip/header side and it is 3.28V with all of them.)
I know the EFI ROM is good (I've also tried other donor boards, with the same issue.)
I have tried with and without the MBA power adaptor plugged in (with and without the battery attached.)

I get no errors when trying to read the chip.

I do have it setup with a USB keyboard and mouse. It is also plugged into a display through HDMI.

No one else seems to have this same issue and it is driving me crazy. I got out of the game for a while, but was hoping the MBA Easy Flash would solve all my issues, but alas, I have the same issues even with the EF clip.

Any one else have this issue or have a possible solution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4283 by CygnusX1

baileyw813 wrote: I purchased the Competitor edition of the Air easy flash.

I am trying to use it on an A1466 13" 2013 Air.

I was having issues prior getting the flash to read properly and was hoping it was just my clip.

Even with the Easy flash I am having issues. After it detects the chip, it reads it. Then it saves the .bin file to my desktop, but again it's not getting a good read.
When I open the file in the default Raspbian text editor, on one line shows up (when I download a good/clean dump from on here, the text editor opens it just fine with a ton of data in the file.)

Here is what I've done to try and troubleshoot, in the past.

I have short 10cm wires.
I have 3 or 4 power supplies, all rated at 5v 2-2.1A (I've measured the voltage at the clip/header side and it is 3.28V with all of them.)
I know the EFI ROM is good (I've also tried other donor boards, with the same issue.)
I have tried with and without the MBA power adaptor plugged in (with and without the battery attached.)

I get no errors when trying to read the chip.

I do have it setup with a USB keyboard and mouse. It is also plugged into a display through HDMI.

No one else seems to have this same issue and it is driving me crazy. I got out of the game for a while, but was hoping the MBA Easy Flash would solve all my issues, but alas, I have the same issues even with the EF clip.

Any one else have this issue or have a possible solution.

The 1466 model is a pain in the a$$. First, DO NOT use the default Raspbian text editor. I use one with Windows 10 Called HxD which is awesome and never let me down. When you get a read, do a right click on it and tell me the file size. Then we will take it from there.

If I helped you buy me a latte!

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4284 by baileyw813
If you remember from my previous issues, I've had similar issues with pretty much all models of mac notebooks (mostly A1278 2011/2012) and a 2012 Mac Mini.
I've even ordered the Chinese and UK versions of the Raspberry PI

When I check out the file size for the A1466, it says that it is 8MB
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by baileyw813.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4285 by baileyw813
Could it be that I've just been opening the .bin files in that text editor and assuming they've been bad reads?

More
7 years 8 months ago #4286 by CygnusX1

baileyw813 wrote: Could it be that I've just been opening the .bin files in that text editor and assuming they've been bad reads?

Yes. Upload one of the bin files here. The file size should be (8,388,608 bytes).

More
7 years 8 months ago #4287 by baileyw813

CygnusX1 wrote:

baileyw813 wrote: Could it be that I've just been opening the .bin files in that text editor and assuming they've been bad reads?

Yes. Upload one of the bin files here. The file size should be (8,388,608 bytes).

Okay, I will upload a .bin once I am back home from work in a few hours.

Thanks!

More
7 years 8 months ago #4288 by CygnusX1

baileyw813 wrote: If you remember from my previous issues, I've had similar issues with pretty much all models of mac notebooks (mostly A1278 2011/2012) and a 2012 Mac Mini.
I've even ordered the Chinese and UK versions of the Raspberry PI

When I check out the file size for the A1466, it says that it is 8MB

The 1466 has an 8 mb file.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4290 by baileyw813

File Attachment:

File Name: read777.bin.zip
File Size:4,533 KB

Here is the .bin file...

It is the exact size you referenced earlier...

Thank you!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by baileyw813.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4292 by CygnusX1

baileyw813 wrote: Here is the .bin file...

Thank you!

You didn't attach it. It needs to be in a zip format.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4293 by CygnusX1
Never mind...

CygnusX1 wrote:

baileyw813 wrote: Here is the .bin file...

Thank you!

You didn't attach it. It needs to be in a zip format.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4294 by CygnusX1
Here ya go!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: baileyw813

More
7 years 8 months ago #4295 by baileyw813

CygnusX1 wrote: Here ya go!!

So the read all this time was fine??? Lmao!

I'm such an idiot. Thanks for cleaning it for me!

Can you recommend a Mac text/hex program?

I went ahead and bought you a latte via PayPal for all your previous help, not that $5 is that much these days!

Can't wait to get back home and flash the chip...

More
7 years 8 months ago #4297 by baileyw813
ALL Fixed!! Thank you again!!!

Such a help! Now I'll have to play around a bit with all my old EFI ROM chips that I thought were crap, and erase and clean them all, so I have spare chips for whatever...

Thanks!

More
7 years 8 months ago #4300 by baileyw813

Thank you again for all your help yesterday.

I have a favor to ask. I am at work and have my machine, 2011 MacBook Pro 13" A1278, and have the .bin file. However I can't install any HEX editors on my work machine to edit the .bin file. I was just going to use the repo .bin file, but it is not the correct size file (8,388,610 instead of 8,388,608) and wont write to the chip. If I include the .bin file for mine, could you clean it for me? I promise I won't make this a habit, as at home I was able to play with and read and erase and write just fine. Just looking to fix and reinstall the OS while I am at work (BORING day!)

Thank you, if you're able. If not, it's cool too and I'll just wait until I get home tonight.

Thanks Again!!

File Attachment:

File Name: read1.zip
File Size:4,059 KB
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #4302 by CygnusX1

baileyw813 wrote:

Thank you again for all your help yesterday.

I have a favor to ask. I am at work and have my machine, 2011 MacBook Pro 13" A1278, and have the .bin file. However I can't install any HEX editors on my work machine to edit the .bin file. I was just going to use the repo .bin file, but it is not the correct size file (8,388,610 instead of 8,388,608) and wont write to the chip. If I include the .bin file for mine, could you clean it for me? I promise I won't make this a habit, as at home I was able to play with and read and erase and write just fine. Just looking to fix and reinstall the OS while I am at work (BORING day!)

Thank you, if you're able. If not, it's cool too and I'll just wait until I get home tonight.

Thanks Again!!

File Attachment:

File Name: read1.zip
File Size:4,059 KB

Here ya go! This is the right size and password removed. Be sure to clear the PRAM on the first boot!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: baileyw813

More
7 years 8 months ago #4439 by maximus556
I'm currently working on flashing an A1466, I have the competitors tool to do it (which is giving me problems), but I would very much like it if someone could point me in the direction of a guide for that model like the one thats on this site. I've already flashed a 2011 MBP and a 2013 MBP Retina with the SOIC Clip, however I have yet to do anything with the other style interface board. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

More
7 years 8 months ago #4441 by therealjayvi
I have had some difficulties when using the competitor edition with these MBA's before, but once you know how to do it it's really simple. It's all about the various power states. Just run through the list below and try each combination until you find the one that works for you:

1. Disconnect Battery / Disconnect MagSafe charger
2. Disconnect Battery / Connect MagSafe charger
3. Connect Battery / Disconnect MagSafe charger
4. Connect Battery / Connect MagSafe charger

And run through each possible scenario with while the switch on the Competitor Edition EZ Flash Clip is in one side, then run through them all again with the switch moved to the other side. Then if all else fails run through each possible scenario again but try connecting the EZ Flash Clip from the opposite direction from the way you've had it connected thus far. It's a tedious process but one of these power states is sure to be the one that's needed. Good luck! Oh and if you end up needing it I figured I'd drop a clean copy of the .bin here for you just in case ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: maximus556, LatinMcG

More
7 years 7 months ago #4478 by reverendalc
i use iHex for OSX. it's great, it never fails.

also, try using your raspberry pi headless... either SSH or VNC or something into it. don't waste your available power on peripherals.

the clips will all connect the same... the wires should extend toward (or over) the lcd hinge assembly.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #4563 by LatinMcG
clean ?
$SVS°...Zþþ.....ªU.....€........^§.öU.pN´.§·¥·Xê“Ò!ï3.E.6.D.5.6.8.B.......ªU.....€........^§.öU.pN´.§·¥·Xê.ö&PB.C.9.7.7.2.C.5...¢âM=.ü0”

thank u tho.. gonna try it as is and cleaned to see if this boots finally!

no boot.. i think something is wrong with this board.. ram or gpu as i get nothing. no chime. just power low fan.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by LatinMcG.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #4581 by LatinMcG
bah! i bought 2 MX25L6046EZNI-12G and burnt them both by voltage i believe.. or heat
but i was so careful with second and i think the CH341A pro black might be doing it.

EDIT: was solder under chip touching pads, chips are fine

tried it in flashrom linux mint 18 with chip soldered to mini adapter
got it to read the empty chip as test then.. went to program and chip not detected.
plugged it in win and programmer says chip info 00 for all. i unplug adapter from programmer and shows ff

the only way i suggest soldering these is .. thin solder tip as hot air can kill these easy from what i seen.

im hanging towel on this one. i suspect some ic chip on mobo is bad s i can flash and verify in circuit original chip.
if i flash wrong i7 ver fan goes crazy but no chime or video.. smc reset does change the color of magsafe led

TheRealJayvi.. that 1466 dump MD232LL is tested good ? maybe i should clean ME on it
but im almost sure board issues with some ic near spi is the problem.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by LatinMcG. Reason: found my mistake

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 559 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies