2015 models and no serial number in dump?

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #4382 by sjword
I've come across 4 or 5 2015 model Airs now that have no serial number in the BIOS dump file, yet the boards *do* have serial numbers when booted into OSX. Where is the serial number stored if it's not in the BIOS dump? Is it in the file, encrypted? When searching for "ssn", "hwc" and "serial", nothing returns that shows a serial number.

Thanks!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by sjword.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #4404 by reverendalc
dosdude and i were tinkering with serial numbers, i'm convinced the serial is stored elsewhere.

changing the serial# in the EFI and booting from an AppleHardwareTest usb, it reports UNKNOWN serial#.

changing the serial# in the EFI only affects the system profiler. need to change everywhere including the bottom lid lol

More
7 years 5 months ago #5328 by
On 2014 MacBook pros I've had where serial number was changed, I did so in the efi dump. I opened the dump with a notepad c++ program, search hwc and the original serial is shown and edited to new. Re write the efi with modified dump and it shows new serial in hardware info and also eliminated the apple device enrolment profiles that after iCloud removal and fresh OS X install were still linking to the machine with the old serial left in place.
I've just done a mid 2015 mbp and modified serial in the same manner and it was visible in the dump the same way as the 2014 model.
Am I right in thinking you've not been able to view the serial on a 2015 machine??

More
7 years 5 months ago #5329 by reverendalc
the ones that stand out in my mind are 12" MacBooks

More
7 years 5 months ago #5330 by
Ah ok...no dealings with a 12" as yet

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 475 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies