can't dump or read MX25L6406E chip

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
9 years 1 month ago #374 by kfkboys
I've been viewing the efi bypass using a raspberry pi with this tutorial
www.ghostlyhaks.com/blog/blog/hacking/18-apple-efi-bypass

So far I have been unable to find a way to actually read or dump my chip.
Also i'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with raspbian. I've created the "foo" directory but am still receiving errors.

I've also set this up using an arduino uno board setting up serprog with both ubuntu and windows and I'm still having the errors of not identifying the chips.

I've got Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. I have a MX25L6406E chip soldered to a Macbook pro A1278 EMC:2554 . I've hooked up all the wires according to the diagram provided for the Pi 2 Model B.
CS# - 24,
SO/SIO1 - 21
WP# - 17
GND - 39
VCC - 17
HOLD# - 17
SLCK - 23
SI/SIO0 - 19

The problem i'm running into is once I run "sudo flashrom -V -r /foo/bar.rom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0" from the terminal I always receive an error:
linux_spi_init: failed to open /dev/spidev0.0: no such file or directory
Error: Programmer initialization failed.

My question is how do you know which spidevice to use or how do you list them out as well as how are you supposed to initialize the programmer in order to read and write to flash?

I'd appreciate any help possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #376 by thaGH05T
There is no recognition problem, you have to first look at this command and know what it does.
sudo flashrom -V -r /foo/bar.rom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0

The breakdown is as follows:
  • sudo - Refers to "super user do whatever the following command is.
  • flashrom - Initiates the flashrom program.
  • -V - is an operator that tells flashrom to verbosely print any output.
  • -r - is an operator that tells flashrom to read the chip and where to read it to.
  • /foo/bar.rom - Is a made up path I use as an example. You need this to be an actual path and file name that you want to create or overwrite.
  • -p - is an operator that initiates the programmer library you will be using.
  • linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0 - This needs to be broken down as well I guess....
  • linux_spi - is the driver that will be used which in this case is linux spi.
  • dev= - is stating the device is = to what follows.
  • /dev/spidev0.0 - is the device you will be using. This is circumstantial and is not the same for all of us.

Please disconnect the clip and list the contents of /dev folder. Then reconnect the clip and list the contents again. The new entry is what device you will use. Plain and simple; cut and dry.

So, now that you know how to use the command, if for some reason you do actually have a failure to read the chip you can try these few things.
  1. Disconnect the MBP batter during the read.
  2. Connect the MBP battery during the read.
  3. Use pullup resistors on the 3.3v leads.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by thaGH05T.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #403 by Wax
:oops:

I'm in hte same boat..... I was foolish to presume that I could just read the MX25L6406E chip with a standard compatible reader e.g. SkyPro. It reads the chip ok. but the info contained in the file (when its saved) is completely different to examples I've seen here..... Is it my wiring? My reader?

Do I need a raspberry pi and inux installed to read this chip accurately?

these questions would be most helpful to me as I have a long road ahead not just in the rreading the chip, but, repairing the board also :-(

Any help suggestions welcome!

Sorry for any lame questions again!

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #407 by thaGH05T
I would say you are getting a corrupt read. But it also may be the software you are using putting it in a format of its own. Upload three dumps of the same chip here so we can have a look.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #415 by Wax
Thats my point exactly. with regard to format that it's written to the chip in.

e.g. The firmware I downloaded for EMC# 2554, (it's a MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.5 13" Mid-2012 2.5 GHz Core i5 (I5-3210M) I put my serial no. into the place specified. saved the file as software default (.BIN)

When I write this file to chip, it gives no errors everytime..... although, when I read the chip, saved the file, the file looks nothing like it did when I loaded it back into notepad++

1. Is this normal? as there are a lot of comments etc that I suspect would be omitted from the writing...

2. I lost the original dump of the chip as I was foolish enough to save it to a nasty cheap SD card which has failed inthe meantime.....

3. Am I completely snookered, as they say in Ireland?

any help would be great...... I'll load the dump I've read from the chip after writing firmware obtained from this site!

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #421 by thaGH05T
I have not had a chance to test this out but I strongly recommend you look at their documentation. No this is not the norm when flashing or reading. something is going wrong.

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 227 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies