MacBook Air A1466 EMC 2632 slow to startup/wake

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 6 months ago #1448 by perthdave
After flashing the EFI on my MacBook Air (through MBA Easy Flash and Raspberry Pi) and getting around the startup padlock, I've found my MacBook Air has been incredibly slow in both starting up, booting and waking from sleep. I takes literally 15-20 seconds for it to chime from pressing the power button.

Is this the result of a bad flash? I read on here somewhere that it's recommended that the A1466 use the +3.3V connections, although in my case, I didn't use them (discovered this info AFTER flashing). Could this be the cause of it?

Also what is the function of the switch on the MBA Easy Flash?

Any ideas? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1449 by CygnusX1
Try clearing the PRAM and the SMC.

The switch on the MBA clip changes the pinout configuration.

MBA Clip Pinout Configuration

Pin 1 of the chip (marked with a small dot) which is CS (Chip Select) goes to pin 24 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 2 of the chip which is MISO (Master In Slave Out) goes to pin 21 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 3 of the chip which is WP (Write Protect) goes to pin 17 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 4 of the chip which is GND (Ground) goes to pin 25 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 5 of the chip which is MOSI (Master Out Slave In) goes to pin 19 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 6 of the chip which is SCLK (Clock Speed) goes to pin 23 on the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 7 of the chip which is HOLD (Hold) goes to pin 17 in the Raspberry Pi.
Pin 8 of the chip which is VCC (Positive Supply Voltage) goes to pin 17 on the Raspberry Pi (3.3v)
I use a breadboard to gain more 3.3v out. I run the 3.3v from the PI to the breadboard that has a five pin header installed so I end up with extra 3.3v connections for the clip.

I use the above pinout configuration for models A1502 - A1466 - A1465 - A1425 with the switch to the left.

I use the same pinout configuration as above for models A1398 - A1369 - A1370 except I throw the switch to the right.

Some people don’t use the 3.3v for the WP and the HOLD. I use them all the time and never have any issues especially with model 1466 which requires the 3.3v on the WP and HOLD.

Then run your flashrom commands as normal.

If I helped you buy me a latte!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by CygnusX1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perthdave

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1452 by perthdave
HI CygnusX1,

Thanks for the response.

I've tried zapping the PRAM and resetting the SMC but with no change in situation.

Is the delayed startup and awakening from sleep symptomatic of a bad flash?

I used PinOut1 which I assume is what's referred to as the left position.

I will attach the other pins to the 3.3v and see what comes of that.

Thanks again

PS. For what it's worth, I can only boot up in Safe Mode; Normal boot is an endless loop of Apple logo and spinning wheel.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by perthdave. Reason: Additional info

More
8 years 6 months ago #1453 by token.paul
Did you flash a changed firmware taken from this machine or it was flashed with firmware from another?
Can you provide an output of 'nvram -p' command in Safe mode? (May be screenshot) Also, can you provide an output for 'diskutil list' command?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1454 by perthdave
I grabbed firmware from the EFI repository on here. I then changed the <model-number> statement to my serial number, as per previous successes with other machines.

I have just done the re-flash using the advised pin configuration and the MacBook Air no longer boots - no startup chime, just a black screen. Have reset the SMC but no change in situation.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by perthdave. Reason: additional info

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1455 by perthdave

added some pics of the connections for what it's worth
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by perthdave.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1456 by perthdave
Reflashed it and MBA works again but still with that very delayed boot chime/startup and awaken from sleep.

Attached is the terminal shot with the commands you gave me.

Ignore the name of the computer, its from a time machine backup belonging to a MacBook Pro.
Attachments:

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1458 by ggltech
You may have a hardware issue...i've seen this type of behaviour from liquid damge..corrosion. causing a bad sensor reading run ASD for your Mac.

also Slow 10 sec chime can also be startup disk not default...try reselecting in system preferences.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by ggltech.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1459 by perthdave
Interesting Verbose Boot screenshot. A few errors relating to SMC.
Attachments:

More
8 years 6 months ago #1461 by perthdave
I attempted to run diagnostics at boot (D key after startup chime) and things were looking hopeful, but only got far as selecting my preferred language and clicking what the equivalent of 'next' was (going off my failing memory here).

After safe booting into the finder, I re-selected the internal hard drive as preferred boot device, but no change for normal boot - progress bar gets about 30% the way through and doesn't go any further.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1462 by perthdave
More strange behaviour...

Option key at restart, selected the recovery partition. Does its 30% progress bar halt, then out of the blue, the voiceover voice rings out "To use English as your main language, press the return key". But what is peculiar about this, is that it hasn't reached the expected Mac OX Utilities screen but remained on the same boot up screen where the progress bar is still stuck at 30%. Pressing return doesn't have any affect either.

???

More
8 years 6 months ago #1463 by ggltech
Try option + command + r = internet recovery

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1465 by perthdave
Good suggestion but no dice. It booted up into the recovery page. Reinstalled the OS. Restored off a time machine backup. No difference.

I have an original read of my EFI which I might re-flash on to this machine then perhaps clear the offending code out of.

Failing that, I'm just about ready to put an axe through this bastard.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1467 by perthdave
Ok so I think my MBA (and axe) will live to see another day.

I reflashed my original [locked] EFI back onto the MBA and it's restarting fine now - no delay - but of course it's now locked again.

Will try and sanitise the file, reflash, and report back.

Hopefully for anyone reading this diatribe, it may help another person out caught in a similar bind.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1468 by perthdave
The MBA is fixed! :) :woohoo:

I sanitised the locked rom dump and it's in perfect order.

Thank you contributors for your suggestions and time spent.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1472 by CygnusX1
Great job!! B)

If I helped you buy me a latte!
The following user(s) said Thank You: perthdave

More
8 years 6 months ago #1480 by token.paul
Well, the question 'Why it was slow?' still opened. But it looks like memory corruption the problem like this and iTunes encryption kext's problem seems somehow linked together...

More
8 years 6 months ago #1483 by perthdave
Thanks. Was close to giving up to be honest!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1484 by perthdave
Indeed. I'm not entirely sure whether that particular EFI dump on here is verified as working 100%. Can anyone vouch for this? Otherwise, I'm happy to upload my sanitised dump.

More
8 years 6 months ago #1486 by token.paul
I can offer more interesting experiment :)
perthdave, can you backup your current working firmware and flash a files which allows you to boot into single user mode?
If you are ready to do it, boot the machine into SU mode and mount an EFI partition with command:
diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1
The EFI partition should be mounted in /Volumes/EFI. Interested file: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap. I think it is something like a BIOS cache.
We are trying a firmware from another machine, this file may contains some unique information from previous firmware and that information may be reason for some collisions or distortion inside memory. But we can remove it. I think it is safe... or just rename it. Reboot a computer and let's see what's will happen

Who's Online

We have 528 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies