Reply: Macbook Pro Early 2011 EFI - Unable to read

NOTE: You are posting the message as a 'Guest', you can not edit the message or delete it
Please Log in or Register to skip this step.
X

Topic History of: Macbook Pro Early 2011 EFI - Unable to read

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)

6 years 1 month ago
Macbook Pro Early 2011 EFI - Unable to read

Try:

sudo flashrom -r /efi/read1.bin -c MX25L6404E/MX25L6408E -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=8000

Note the appending
,spidpeed=8000

(ref: github.com/flashrom/flashrom/issues/29)

6 years 2 months ago

jeimuzujohnson wrote: I have been trying to read (and hopefully eventually write) to a Macbook pro early 2011 with EFI chip MX25L6406E. I have two of them and get the same response from both. Flashrom detects a chip but is unable to identify it.

Hi,
I have same MacBook Pro 15" with MXIC MX25L6406E but I after commad:
sudo flashrom -r /efi/read1.bin -c MX25L6404E/MX25L6408E -V -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0
I get this response:
Probing for Macronix MX25L6404E/MX25L6408E, 8192 kB: RDID byte 0 parity violation. probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x00, id2 0x00

How do you know that your Flashrom detects a chip?

btw I have Rpi 3 with 2.5A psu.

6 years 2 months ago

my apologies on the 1370 & 1466, I was thinking of another thread.
The older models I really only used the pi power being at least 2 amps.

On some of the newer models the only problem I have found is the dumps are incomplete.
To over-come that, I would power on the unit, then press & continue holding the power button immediately, then read or write
At which point a clean dump, would need to repeat for a write as well.

6 years 2 months ago

OK, thanks. I'll give it another go sometime tomorrow and maybe take a few pictures just to make sure I'm not losing my mind here!

The model I'm working on is:
everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.3-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

I could be wrong but I think it's a model A1278 EMC 2419. I thought I saw a post on here somewhere that someone else noticed the board drawing the power in and just took the chip out to read it. I don't want to do that if I can at all avoid it. I also saw one where someone suggested a battery, but it sort of ended there.

6 years 2 months ago

Make sure you are using at least a 2 amp power supply to the pi
Should work with no battery & no magsafe connected

You can try several other means with or without battery/magsafe.
But on those 1370 & 1466 models I only needed the pi power

6 years 2 months ago

Thank you for the reply! I have tried it with VCC+HOLD+WP all soldered together going to PIN 17 (3.3v) of the Pi and still had the problem. I noticed that the board seems to try to draw power from the Pi on these machines, so I am wondering if it's not getting enough power. I have tried with battery and Magsafe disconnected, connected, and all combinations of the two. Each time I either get that no chip was found or that the chip is not able to be read. Should I try supplying the 3.3v for those 3 lines from an external power source?

Who's Online

We have 363 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies