Early 2011 MbPro EMC 2419 bad (no error) read bin

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
8 years 4 months ago #2030 by baileyw813
I am trying to read the MX 25L6406E BIOS/EFI chip. I have the Raspberry Pi 2 B, using a POMONA SOIC 8 pin clip (although my jumpers are about 8 inches/about 20cm)

I have followed tutorial perfectly. I have to include the chip type "-c "MX25L6406E/MX25l6408E" for flashrom to detect/know which MX I am trying to read.

My issue is I am reading flash and seems to be all well, saves .bin where I want, but when I go to open it, there is only one line of text (even though it says it is 8mb.)

Could this be a clip issue/jumper length issue?
I have the exact computer, but no firmware/icloud and it does the same to the flash read from that chip as well. The text editor reads the .bin dumps from here fine, so I know the text editor should open the file just fine.

Do I need all three pins (3,7, 8 ) going to 3.3v for it to read correctly? I can only attach pin 8 and 7 to 3.3v at one time as I don't have a small breadboard to distribute 3.3v along a rail to attach more jumpers.

When pin 3 and 8 have 3.3v it doesn't detect chip. When 7 and 8 have 3.3v, it detects the chip, reads and saves .bin (but almost empty)

Please help :)

Thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #2040 by CygnusX1
How are you powering the PI?

If I helped you buy me a latte!

More
8 years 4 months ago #2042 by thaGH05T
Given his current setup I would hope with its own power supply. Because the mouse and keyboard he has attached will pull power as well which could result in the voltage drop.

More
8 years 4 months ago #2057 by baileyw813
I am using an iPad (not iPhone) 12w charger brick.

Believe it's rated at 5.2 or 5.6v

More
8 years 4 months ago #2058 by CygnusX1
how many amps?

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #2060 by baileyw813
It says 5.2V and 2.4A Should that be enough with keyboard and mouse attached? What power source would you recommend?

Thank you!
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by baileyw813. Reason: mistype

More
8 years 4 months ago #2061 by thaGH05T
It sounds sufficient, but a real way to tell is to test the voltage at your clip.

More
8 years 4 months ago #2062 by baileyw813
Ok. I'll check that tonight. If voltage is good, any other ideas on why the dump isn't "legit"?

More
8 years 4 months ago #2064 by thaGH05T
You need to connect the WP and HOLD to VCC (3.3v) for sure. I would also suggest reducing the length of your wires.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2096 by baileyw813
I tested for continuity between the chip and the Raspberry and all have contact between chip->clip->PI
I then tested for voltage at the chip and I get 3.156....

Is that too low?

More
8 years 3 months ago #2097 by thaGH05T
Yes, your voltage has to be at least 3.2v I am pretty sure. You can check the operation voltage in your chips datasheet. You can shorten the wires or use a 2a power supply.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2098 by thaGH05T
Noticed the power supply above was enough, but you are still getting a voltage drop. You need to follow my previous suggestions.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2099 by baileyw813
Okay, sounds good. Looks like the last thing I have left is the length of the wires... I'll try that. Thank you.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2100 by baileyw813
Very frustrating... Shortened the 3 wires going to VCC and now the voltage drop is even more. I get 3.125V now. I was getting 3.26 at pin 7 but now all three are 3.125V
Odd because the resistance (being that they are now shorter) has gone down, so the voltage drop doesn't make sense...

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2102 by CygnusX1
Out of curiosity, are you using a "UK" made PI or one of those "RPC" PI's? I had lots of problems in the the past with the PI made in China. Also, do you have the bottom of the PI in a case or covered?

Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by CygnusX1.

More
8 years 3 months ago #2107 by thaGH05T
You could also set you RasPi up for SSH and lose the USB and HDMI cables. You would then connect to it from putty on a different box and do the same from command line. This will likely solve your issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CygnusX1

More
8 years 3 months ago #2108 by CygnusX1
That would definitely cut down on the power consumption! ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: baileyw813

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2117 by baileyw813
I will try SSH'ing into the PI. I did test the voltage going to the chip, without the keyboard/mouse attached and it pretty much was the same <3.2v) I will have to test without the HDMI plugged in, which could account for the most voltage drop...

Hopefully SSH will allow this to work give at least 3.2v.) I also ordered newer f-f and m-f wires that are 10cm instead of 20cm. I still need to check where it was manufactured, just in case that could be part of the issue. I did notice that the only text in the flash read is the same as the first line in a "normal/real" .bin from this site. "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿZ¥ð "
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by baileyw813. Reason: Can't read LOL

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #2119 by CygnusX1
I am really curious now about your problem. I am going to see if any other ideas pop into my mind for you. :)

When I had low power issues, I bought one of these 4 port switching power supplies and I haven't had a problem since. I was like you , I was using a wall charger that was 5v 2amp. Once I got this power supply , no more issues. I think I paid a little over $4.00 at Walmart for it.

Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by CygnusX1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baileyw813

More
8 years 3 months ago #2120 by baileyw813
great! I will most likely just buy one when/if SSH doesn't result in a win! haha. I'll report back with my findings. I have tried different boards of the same EMC as well as other EMC boards. I have the same issue with all. So I am sure it is not an EMC chip issue.

Moderators: token.paul

Who's Online

We have 464 guests and no members online

N00BZ

• ljamal
  • ljamal74
  • mikeg2atest
  • ducchinhbui
  • anjarezt

Cookies